Thursday, August 11, 2011

Big Hot Butt


 Today's Tip (story first)~ I was chatting with another angler in the Hirsch, and he asked about leaders- length, knot-less, weight etc... I mentioned I am not rich so I build my own, with his response being- "How do you measure your length?"
So here is your tip~ I hope most are aware of this fact, but just in case. Your arms extended out, are the "rough" length of your body. For instance, I am 6'3"; it's safe to say my arms are around 6'.  If I need a 9' leader, I will run line from my fingers to the center of my chest (being about 3 feet) 3 times (9 feet).
The guy was surprised so I thought this is a great tip...

The Hirsch is one of my favorite zones, so after a day like today (extremely busy at the ol' lumber yard), I love to unwind here. I saw the Hot Butts were out, and I tied one of my designs on.  I call it the "Big Hot Butt" for the fact that I tie on a length of red chenille for the butt. I think it gives the fly a little taste of life, like Johnny 5 stays alive. It was a decent decision, and I landed a bakers dozen. No hogs (biggest about 14") but it's not about the fish you catch, but the fishing you do...
Hi-5



2 comments:

Chris said...

Good tip Josh.

Was chatting to someone the other day that just uses a length of fluro-carbon (which I usually use as a tippet) as a leader when on narrow rivers...

Do you taper your leaders?

Josh "Chappy" Chaplin said...

Oh! Yah! I taper short lengths till I get to my tippet section. Then measure to the situation. It's amazing how much coin you can save this way...
Hi-5