Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Rice Bag


Dear Diary,
North and I had a lovely walk down to the river, what an amazing day. Do you think North...
Ya right... KIDDING
 Tip for today~ If you drop your electronic device in water- place it in a rice bag, the rice absorbs the moisture.  I hope this proves helpful.... Have any of you tried it?

Today is a great day...
Last Thursday Wicket and I took the muts to the river and enjoyed a fish session. Unfortunately, I lacked the information that we would be mountaineering to get there. So -as usual- my summer attire is equipped with board shorts and Chacos. Which on this day proved to be a poor decision.
Once we finally made it to the river -me feeling like a miner who forgot his shoes- I spotted a riser and laid my caddis.  Wham!!! Fish-on!!! This continued on for three nice truts.  By the third, Wicket had cruised down river. While on my way to catch up with him, I decided to throw one more- Kaboom!!! another. Only this time- Kerplunk, I went down faster than the Titanic.  My first instinct after emerging from the water, was to pull my phone out.  In the midst of the excitement, I totally spaced my camera.  When I finally remembered it, I pulled it out realizing that it had more water on-board than a submarine with screen doors. DAMMIT!!!!!!! Completely soaked and bumming I called it, said later to Wicket and I was out.
Then why is today a great day? You ask! Well, I have been trying to revive the camera since the incident
by placing it with rice in a Ziploc.  And- voila- today I put the batteries in and now is back in action.
The fishing is hot right now, and a camera is very much needed...
Hi-5

6 comments:

Chris said...

Good tip Josh. I've dropped so many cameras and phones in the drink I'm amazed I don't electrocute the fish!

Taking pics of my catches has always been a problem for me. Especially if I'm waist deep in the flow.

Consequently nobody believes my catch stories - no pictures.

Josh "Chappy" Chaplin said...

Yup Chris, I totally agree with taking photos solo. It's a technique in itself. The rice bag works for phones too. Take out the battery and make sure the rice is all over it...
Hi-5

David McKenzie said...

Nice work getting your camera back up. I probly would have tossed it. I wondered if the rice trick worked.

Utah Water Log said...

Excellent tip! My camera's waterproof and I've sworn off cell phones, but I'll pass this trick around.

B1GR said...

I've fallen in the river every month practically since January, I have to have a waterproof camera. If you're in the market, look at the Pentax W90 and Sony TX10, I like both but the Sony is the best. Regards.

Josh "Chappy" Chaplin said...

Oh! Ya! The rice bag works. I have had to use it many, many times. Has not failed me yet...